Editor’s Note: The Munshine Group has been selected to lead the search for the next Executive Director of Arm In Arm, a highly-respected nonprofit organization that has been providing vital assistance to residents in Mercer County, New Jersey for four decades. We are pleased to have been chosen to guide this important process, and wish to share the following detailed information about Arm In Arm’s Executive Director position.
Arm In Arm is a place where our community comes together to make sure we all have the most basic needs and the livelihood to maintain them. With the belief that “we are better together,” Arm In Arm partners with community stakeholders to help ensure that our neighbors in need have access to the essentials of food, shelter, and employment to support themselves and their families.
Recently recognized by Charity Navigator as among just 4% of charities to earn a 4-star rating for eight years in a row, Arm In Arm has been improving the lives of Mercer County residents for almost 40 years. In looking for its next Executive Director, Arm In Arm seeks a dynamic and dedicated professional who will guide the organization into its fifth decade of service.
EXTRAORDINARY OPPORTUNITY FOR EXCEPTIONAL LEADER
The Executive Director is responsible for the continual development of new and existing partnerships to advance the organization’s mission, serving as an ambassador to individuals, corporations and small businesses, foundations, congregations, organizations, public and private schools, colleges and universities, and governmental entities across Mercer County.
Working closely with the Board of Directors, four direct reports, a full-time staff of 20, hundreds of volunteers, and summer interns, the Executive Director leads all aspects of strategy and planning, finance, communications and development, human resources, operations and information technology, governance, risk management and stakeholder relations.
Last year, Arm In Arm tallied more than 20,000 food pantry and home food visits, through its three food pantries and new mobile pantry, empowering families with a shopping experience and serving each client with compassion, dignity and respect. Enough food was distributed to provide 500,000 meals to more than 4,300 families. In addition, the organization provided housing support to more than 600 families facing eviction, foreclosure or utility shutoff. Workforce development programs, including job training and job search assistance, helped to improve employment prospects for 15 people.
The ideal candidate will be able to establish and execute a balanced vision that is both aspirational and practical. Arm In Arm is poised for its next chapter of growth, first and foremost through the extension of its existing services, as it seeks to make an even greater impact on the unmet basic needs of our neighbors in communities across Mercer County. The next Executive Director will lead based on this practical vision, their own operational strengths and ability to engage effectively with all stakeholder groups in ways that stay true to our core mission.
Arm In Arm has retained The Munshine Group, a New Jersey based firm, to manage the hiring process. To apply confidentially, please submit a cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations are also welcomed.
Major Responsibility Areas
- Strategy and Planning: Lead the development and implementation of strategic plans by staying informed about trends in policy and programs related to hunger, homelessness and workforce development, and translating them into actionable opportunities that align with Arm In Arm’s growth capacity and the community’s needs.
- Finance: Utilize understanding of nonprofit accounting principles, budgeting and financial statements to develop and manage resources efficiently and effectively; be held accountable to approved budgets. Manage tax, audit and investment processes.
- Communications and Development: Work closely with the Director of Communications and Development and the Board of Directors, develop and maintain relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporations, public entities, community organizations and faith-based institutions. Develop and implement annual and long-range plans and metrics to support sustainability and growth.
- Human Resources: Effectively supervise and collaborate with Directors of Housing Stability Services, Operations, Administration, and Communications and Development. Establish and maintain a positive, dynamic workplace culture emphasizing professionalism and professional development, data-driven decision-making, mutual support, quality, consistency and results.
- Operations and Information Technology: Ensure the smooth daily operations of Arm In Arm’s three food pantries, new mobile pantry, housing stability and workforce development programs. Maintain physical facilities, technology and systems, and develop plans to increase organizational resiliency over time.
- Governance: Develop and work with the Board, ensuring that its committees and efforts are well-organized and providing an effective link between the Directors and operations.
- Risk Management: Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws and regulations. Develop an organizational risk management and disaster recovery plan.
- Stakeholder Relations: Serve as chief ambassador to the community and government agency funders; enhance brand awareness and reputational strength. Create and maintain partnerships with other charities and organizations.
Essential Qualifications and Personal Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree required with a relevant graduate degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable record of achievement and progressive career responsibility
- Fundraising aptitude, and a genuine interest in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual, corporate, foundation, in-kind, and government grant support
- Strength of character and integrity consistent with Arm In Arm’s mission and values
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Sense of humor and impeccable work ethic; leads by example
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and general comfort with workplace technology
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Comprehensive benefits, including medical and dental as well as supplemental insurance options; retirement plan; generous holiday and vacation package
- Opportunities for professional development and networking
- Positive and rewarding work environment, and unique ability to affect positive change